Coconut Yogurt BonbonMay 27th, 2011 | Posted by in Recipes
In my younger days (wow… it makes me feel old!) I would have given anything to be able to grasp an ounce of candy, chocolate, chewing gum, just anything sweet…
On coming Sunday, I will join a charity event where I will hold a pastry class for 15 students. These young people aged between 15 and 20 years old are youth with strong difficulties to adapt into society (although sometimes, I can’t blame them!); as a result they drop out of school, wander the streets and eventually fall into wrongdoings…
The association organizing the event (will cover the event in detail in another blog post) asked me to come up with anything that can help, relate to, or encourage these youngsters. So, as I was saying in my previous post “Aren’t we all different?” I tried to put myself in their shoes and thought about what would I do… The catch is that these desserts would be featured in a published book – so one, would easily get attracted into greed and face by making a stunning looking dessert – but then again, it would be sole selfishness talking…
Instead, I remembered myself as a teenager and how much whining I gave my Mom to get candies and chocolate all the time! And thought, at that time, if I knew how to make them myself, my Mom would probably have allowed me getting the ingredients to create something with my own hands rather than sitting in front of the TV and eating industrially processed candies. And so I came up with these coconut yogurt bonbon.
Made in the blink of an eye and dangerously addictive – coconut, yogurt and crunchy bits come together to form a bonbon very similar to those commercial coconut rocher – but without the hydrogenated vegetable fat, chemical preservatives, mold inhibitors et al.
They’re simple and lots of fun to make with kids!
250 gm coconut milk
25 gm glucose
2 gm sea salt
30 gm dessicated yogurt powder
600 gm white chocolate
50 gm butter
100 gm grated coconut
60 gm puffed rice crispies (works well if eaten right after the making, otherwise, use the chocolate coated rice crispies, it will last longer)
Some melted dark chocolate and grated coconut mixed with a little icing sugar.
- Boil the coconut milk with glucose and dissolve the salt in it.
- Add the chopped white chocolate and melt it completely.
- Mix the yogurt powder with the grated coconut and add it to the chocolate mixture.
- Add the butter and mix well until all is melted.
- Let the mixture cool a little and add the rice crispies.
- Spread the base on a tray to cool faster and keep int he fridge for 30 minutes.
- Form balls of 10 to 20 grams and store in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the coating chocolate.
- Melt the dark chocolate over hot water or with microwave.
- Mix the icing sugar with the grated coconut.
- Using your hands, roll the coconut balls into the chocolate and roll them in the coconut sugar mixture.
- Shake the bonbons to remove the excess coconut.