Oh la la! Gateau au chocolat!January 8th, 2011 | Posted by in Recipes
When it comes to food I would choose authenticity over complexity any day.
If there is only one chocolate gateau you will do this year, then you’ve got to try that recipe. Served just warm with vanilla ice cream and honeycomb caramel crumbs: ecstatic!
- 125 gm Roasted almond powder (…or hazelnuts, walnuts…)
- 280 gm Melted dark chocolate (for the chocolate snobs: 60% to 70% is good)
- 80 gm Cake flour
- 20 gm Pure cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 200 gm Melted butter (yeah!!!)
- 25 ml Freshly brewed espresso coffee
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 200 gm White Sugar
- Preheat your oven at 190C and prepare a buttered cake ring of about 25 cm in diameter.
- In a bowl, mix the almonds, flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted chocolate, the melted butter, the coffee and the yolks.
- In a third bowl, whip the egg white and the sugar into a soft meringue.
- Mix the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and finally fold in the whipped egg white.
- Fill the cake ring and bake for about 25 minutes.
The trick is in the baking time. You’ve got to under-bake the tart, let it sit for a while until it’s possible to cut it and serve. Letting it sit for minutes in front of you will seems to be hours… but trust me, it worth all the while!